Monday, December 17, 2018

Tally of Time and Money Spent on Spousal Citizenship

UPDATED***

I was really curious after my last entry about how much time and money we've been required to spend so far on Albert's path to citizenship. This is what we can remember:





Fee (in USD)
Time Duration
For the US government
to check to make sure I
was single before getting married
$50
1 day
For the TW government
to verify this check
$12.50
I-130 form for green card
$535
6 months
I-864 form Affidavit of Support
~$400*
1 year 2 months
Biometrics
$85
1 day
Interview at American Institute
0
1 day
Receiving the green card in
the mail after entering the US
0
1 month 2 weeks
Waiting to be eligible to file I-751
0
2 years
I-751 form to remove
conditions from green card
$595
1 year 7 months
Biometrics
$85
1 day
N-400 application for citizenship
$640
200 days
Biometrics
$85
1 day
Waiting for Oath Ceremony
Applying for a US passport
at the ceremony
0
$205
1 week 6 days
Total
$2,492.50
5 years 3 months 33 weeks 1 day

This does not count money spent on postage for each application and gas spent going to biometrics and interview appointments



*I wrote in a previous entry that we had to spend this much but when I checked the USCIS website they said there is no fee if you submit it to the Department of State abroad. Somehow this was not applicable to our case back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment