Sunday, July 14, 2013

Ok, it's official!

This past Friday (July 12th, 2013) was a typhoon day. Work and classes were canceled starting from 2pm and things were starting to look serious. However, luck was with us and we managed to get married!

(Don't worry- this was only to make things legal. The Catholic wedding is going to be in Michigan next year once we move back! ;) )

July 12th was apparently a lucky day to get married according to the Chinese lunar calendar, but that's not why we picked the day. We got up and left the house around 8:40am to pick up our two witnesses and get to the courthouse. Our witness were our two really good friends here in Taiwan and I'm really happy they took the time out of their day to come with us.
On the way to the courthouse



We were the first and only couple signed up that day to get married. The officiator really liked to speak Taiwanese and I kinda wish he just stuck to Chinese. Then I would have actually understood him.

First we had to sign and stamp our Chinese names.




It was actually a little funny, I agreed to vows that I barely understood. I tried not to look confused and ruin all the pictures. :-P




We had to bow to each other three times.

Then we exchanged rings.



And we got to kiss!
This is me having no idea what's going on!


Yay! We get some kind of important document!


Then a few friends from Albert's work surprised us with flowers. These roses were really special- they were striped! And apparently only available in Taiwan.





Then we had to make a mad dash to Zhongli to register my name under his family to make it legal. I have an official Chinese name now: 林瑞秋. Lin Rui Qiu. Then back to Taipei to apply for my spousal residence card. Unfortunately, it has to be renewed every three years...gr...

Then finally we got a break. We had dinner with some good friends and celebrated with the rabbits. ;) I'm sure I'm just imagining it, but Pepperpot seemed especially happy that day! (Well, except for the howling typhoon outside that night)

Yay! We made it! Next stop, Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment